COVID-19 UPDATE: APRIL 6, 2021
Due to the pandemic, Lions Bay parks and parking facilities are being strictly managed to ensure physical distancing and prevent overcrowding. Parking penalties have been substantially increased and infractions will be ticketed and may be towed. Parking restrictions are enforced 7 days a week.
The Lions Bay Beach Park is open but with a maximum occupancy of 100 persons at any given time, including the beach and swimming area. To help manage this restriction, the adjacent Lions Bay beach parking lot is now open with pay parking in effect, until further notice. Please ensure you purchase a ticket at the meter.
In addition, the Kelvin Grove Beach Park is now open with pay parking in effect, until further notice and street parking in Kelvin Grove (below and above the highway) is strictly “Permit Required”.
Please note that purchased parking tickets are non-transferable! Please do not accept unexpired tickets from others as you will be issued a penalty.
Additional Current Parking Information:
- Sunset Trailhead Parking Lot Open (Portapotty available at gate): Metered parking only: $3/hr up to $24/day, 3 day maximum. Kelvin Grove Parking Lot and Lions Bay Beach Parking Lots are open with same cost to metered parking.
- Use the + or – keys to add or subtract time – DO NOT USE THE “MAX” KEY UNLESS YOU WANT TO BUY 3 DAYS OF PARKING FOR $72. Payment for metered parking may be made by coins, credit card, or the Flowbird App. *Download the Flowbird App before you come to Lions Bay to avoid any onsite downloading issues in Lions Bay where cellular service can be challenging. No refunds are issued for overpayment (Policy).
- School Parking Lot Open (Lower gravel lot overflow parking for hikers). NO PARKING on either side of lot entry/exit or in front of, or in any way blocking full access to, the storage containers in the lot.
- Parking on Mountain Drive (south of Bayview intersection) on the non-residential east side of the street Open (some “Permit Required” spots at Tennis Court and beyond).
- Parking Open on selected areas of Upper Oceanview Road, south of Highview intersection.
- The Brunswick Interchange parking area is open.
THANK YOU FOR DOING YOUR PART TO MAINTAIN PHYSICAL DISTANCING AT ALL TIMES. BE KIND. BE CALM. BE SAFE.
Visitor Parking (How it normally works)
At 2.53 square kilometers, the small, picturesque seaside Village of Lions Bay on the eastern shore of Howe Sound is one of the smallest municipalities in BC. With narrow residential streets and such a small land mass, parking is always at a premium, particularly in the summer months.
Visitors are encouraged to use public transportation to visit Lions Bay's parks. All three beach parks are a short walk away from bus stops on the 262 Translink/Bluebus route.
If you do need to park in Lions Bay, pay close attention to parking signage. Most streets below the highway are restricted to residents with parking permits. Metered pay parking is available for visitors from April 1, 2021 to mid-September at:
- Kelvin Grove Beach Park Lot – Park and lot closed from 10 pm to 8 am.
- Lions Bay Beach Park Lot – Park closed from 10 pm to 8 am.
*If these lots are full, drop off your group and find a spot on an unrestricted street above the highway and walk back down. No boat or camper trailers or RVs permitted.
- Sunset Trailhead Lot - Multiday parking available for mountain hikers up to 72 hours. *Free overflow parking is at the Lions Bay Elementary School Parking Lot on weekends and in summer when the school is not in session.
Payment for metered parking may be made by coins, credit card, or the new Flowbird App. *Download the Flowbird App before you come to Lions Bay to avoid any onsite downloading issues in Lions Bay where cellular service can be challenging. DO NOT USE THE “MAX” KEY UNLESS YOU WANT TO BUY 3 DAYS OF PARKING FOR $72.
If you are visiting Brunswick Beach, you need to park above the highway where the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure has designated free parking at the northbound Brunswick interchange. *Do not park on the on/off ramps or on the highway shoulder as you will be ticketed and towed.
Resident Parking Permits
Resident Parking Permits are required for 'Permit Parking Only' areas of which there are several throughout the Village:
- Lower Kelvin Grove (Tidewater Way, Sweetwater Place, Periwinkle Place)
- Brunswick Beach (all of Brunswick Beach Road)
- Lower Lions Bay (full length of Lions Bay Avenue, Cloudview Place, Seaview Place, Southview Place)
- Trailheads (Sunset Drive, Mountain Drive below Sunset Dr.)
Two complimentary Resident Parking Permits are included with the 2019 property tax notices and expire March 31, 2022. Permits are to be affixed to the top left of the front windshield. The 2018/19 parking stickers affixed to rear windows are valid until July 31, 2019 – the sticker manufacturer recommends removal from windows with hot air and a blade; the Municipality accepts no liability for improper placement or removal.
Residents with valid, properly displayed Resident Parking Permits are encouraged to use the available, restricted street parking areas to ensure the metered parking areas are available for visitors to Lions Bay.
Residents with valid, properly displayed Resident Parking Permits may also park for free in the metered Kelvin Grove Beach Park Lot and the Sunset Trailhead Lot, but must pay for parking in the metered Lions Bay Beach Park Lot from mid-May to mid-September.
Residents may transfer the Permit to a tenant or visiting relative or guest, but shall not sell or otherwise transfer Permits to non-residents.
If the Permit is lost or if an owner has additional vehicles requiring a Resident Parking Permit, there is a $40 charge for each Permit.
Daily Guest Parking Permits
Residents also receive a limited number of Daily Guest Parking Permits for relatives or guests which must be filled out to be valid for on-street parking in Permit Parking Only areas until up to noon the following day. Residents may contact the Village Office for additional Daily Guest Parking Permits as needed.
*Note, Daily Guest Parking Permits are not valid in any of the metered parking lots.
Construction Parking Permits
Homeowners or Construction Managers may obtain Construction Parking Permits from the Village Office for contractors working on construction projects. The cost for these Permits is $40 for 3 months and allows parking in Permit Parking Only areas adjacent to the project, if applicable.
- PAY a parking ticket online (To pay online you will need your ticket and licence plate #) Currently the online payment portal is only accepting payments by credit card; this service is being provided by a third party provider; processing fees are remitted to this provider. The processing fee is 2.5% of the total being paid.
- DISPUTE a parking ticket
In the event that you are towed, call Payless Towing at 604-988-4176 or 604-988-2911. Their office and yard is located at 311 Mansfield Place in North Vancouver. The cost to retrieve your vehicle will depend on where your car was towed from and how long it sits in the yard. The approximate cost from Lions Bay is $150 plus tax and an extra $35/day plus tax for storage in the yard. View POL-1602: Towing Policy (approved by Council June 7, 2016)