Due to COVID-19, please see the following
Once your permit has been issued and work begins, building inspections are required as your project progresses. Inspections ensure buildings meet current structural, health, security and fire protection safety standards.
There are many stages involved in the building inspection process and inspections should be called at every stage. Depending on what you're building, inspections for the following may need to be carried out:
- Footings/Foundation: After the forms for footings and foundations are complete, but prior to pouring any concrete.
- Damproofing/Draintile: After removal of formwork from a concrete foundation and installation of perimeter drain tiles and dampproofing but prior to back-filling against foundation – the plumbing fixture count sheet must be received prior to inspection.
- Sewer & Water Test and Installation (Plumbing): Connection from the road to the foundation, before a building drain, sanitary or storm sewer is covered. If any part of the plumbing system is covered before it is inspected and approved, it shall be uncovered. If the plumbing inspector so directs, and when considered necessary, underground building drains, branches, storm drains and sewers shall be re-tested after the completion of all back-filling and grading by heavy equipment.
- Underground Plumbing (Under Slab): When the rough-in plumbing system, including underground water supply, drain waste and vent piping, is complete but prior to any such plumbing being covered.
- Pre-Slab (Building): After the 6 mil (UV rated) poly is placed over the compacted gravel base of the concrete slab but prior to any concrete being placed for the floor.
- Rough-in Plumbing (Above Slab): After all supply and DWV (drain, waste, and vent) piping, including for fire sprinklering system, is installed and ready to be tested with water and/or air, but prior to any covering up or concealment of any kind. Internal venting must be through the roof.
- Framing: After framing and sheathing of the building are complete, including fire- stopping, bracing, chimney, duct work, plumbing, gas venting, wiring, but prior to any insulation, lath, or other interior or exterior finish is applied that conceals the work. Plumbing and Electrical Rough-ins must already be completed.
- Tub & Shower Installation and Testing: Water must be hooked up and able to run. Drain must be installed and connected. Fire sprinklering system must be installed and ready to test.
- Insulation/Poly Vapour Barrier: After all insulation and 6 mil poly (UV rated) is installed, including floor joist-end cavities, crawlspace foundation insulation and attic insulation, but prior to any interior finish or other concealment is applied.
- Solid Fuel Appliance/Fireplace/Chimney: When applicable, after factory-built chimneys and fireplaces and solid fuel burning appliances are roughed-in. In the case of masonry fireplace or chimney construction, when the smoke shelf is complete and the first two flue liners are in place.
- Plumbing Final: A final plumbing inspection (PRV testing) must be completed prior to ordering a final building inspection.
- Building Final: Plumbing final must be completed first. Please ensure the Schedule C-A and Schedule C-B documents have been received by the inspector the week before calling for your final building inspection.