Building permits are required for all new construction, temporary buildings and for alterations to existing construction. Please review building requirements with Municipal staff before commencing a project. The cost of building permits depends on the nature and scope of the work being done.
Some examples of when a building permit is required:
- Construction of a new building
- Additions to existing buildings
- Kitchen Renovation involving relocation of plumbing fixtures
- Upgrading an existing building or changing its use
- Creating new rooms or spaces within existing building
- Finishing a basement, e.g. adding a Secondary Suite
- Demolishing a building or part of a building
- Building a deck or gazebo
- Construction of a swimming pool
- Adding an accessory building, equipment room, shed, or detached garage more then 10m2
- Building a retaining wall over 1.2 meters in height requires a professional engineering design but no permit required. Design to be submitted to the Village Office.
- Restoration, maintenance or repair of significant fire and life-safety components and systems of the building.
Note: Work that does not require a permit, must comply with Municipal Bylaws and the BC Building Code.
The following are some of the basic procedural requirements:
- The permit must be obtained before commencing work on the project.
- To apply for a permit, information about the project in the form of construction plans and supporting documentation must be submitted to the municipality. This information is necessary to demonstrate that the proposed work will comply with all applicable Codes, Regulations, Bylaws and property encumbrances (e.g., rights-of-way, covenants, etc.).
- Permit forms can be obtained through the Village Office or online.
- Pay the application fee of $100.00 - (Building Permit fees are based on the value of construction).
- Depending on the nature of the permit in question, various other charges and securities (Development Cost Charges, Damage Deposits, etc.) may be collected at the time the permit fee balance is due.
- Periodically during the progress of permitted work, and after completion of work, an inspection must be carried out.
Use the Authorized Agent's Letter Form to authorize an agent to access information on the following:
- Building, Plumbing or Development Permits
- For Engineering Permits (Driveways, Service Connections) Contact Public Works at 604-921-9833
- Viewing Property Plans
- Obtaining copies of Property Plans (an Access Request form must accompany the Authorized Agent's Letter)
Note: Payment for plans must be received prior to plans being copied.