Secondary Suites

The Village of Lions Bay encourages and supports the creation of safe Secondary Suites, but there are some rules you need to follow if you want to operate a Secondary Suite. They are permitted in all neighbourhoods of Lions Bay through Zoning and Development Bylaw No. 520, 2017, which provides the following definitions:

“secondary suite means a dwelling unit completely contained within what would otherwise be a single detached dwelling and having:

  1. a total floor area of not more than 90m2 in area, and
  2. having a floor area less than 40 percent of the habitable floor area of the building, used only for residential use consistent with the provisions of the Residential Tenancy Act;” and a

“dwelling unit means a set of habitable rooms within a building, used as a residence by not more than one household, that contains:

  1. a separate entrance from the outdoors; and
  2. a gas range or stove or electric range or stove with 240 volt wiring;”

Note: Secondary Suites cannot be rented on a short term basis (i.e. less than a month) through AirBnb, VRBO or other media platforms.