Job Description BUILDING INSPECTOR
Title: Building Inspector
Reports to: CAO
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK
The Village of Lions Bay, is currently recruiting for a regular part-time Building Inspector to head up the Building and Development, Permit, License and Inspection Department. This unionized position will report to the CAO.
- Inspect residential, commercial, industrial and institutional structures at various stages of construction to ensure conformance to bylaws, building and plumbing codes, and standards;
- Examine and review building plans, drawings and applicable documentation;
- Approve or reject work inspected and enforce changes and corrections as required;
- Issue permits for all types of construction and structures where compliance with Village Bylaws, applicable codes and regulations have been met;
- Provide input and retrieve information from the Village’s property files;
- Perform searches with Land Titles and other electronic systems for inspections;
- Issuance of various related permits.
- Graduation from a technical institute diploma program in Building Technology or a related subject; or completion of a recognized trades apprenticeship plus completion of code related courses, supplemented by certification as a Building Official 1 (BOABC) and considerable related experience in municipal plan checking and/or the building construction industry; or an equivalent combination of training and experience;
- Thorough knowledge of the B.C. Building Codes, Bylaws, Acts, Standards and Regulations;Thorough Knowledge of Plumbing Code, Municipal Bylaws and construction practices, policies and procedures governing the work;
- Thorough knowledge of best practices, methods, tools, materials, and equipment used in the various building trades;
- Thorough Knowledge or Encroachment Agreements;
- Work with Village’s Board of Variance Committee;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of external and internal contacts and to enforce standards, bylaws, regulations with diplomacy and tact;
- Ability to prepare and present evidence in court as required;
- Prepare reports and correspondence and to maintain records related to the work;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and direction, and assume responsibility for technical decisions;
- Ability to examine, check and interpret plans, specifications and related material and communicate; effectively to provide the required information to the public, professionals and other staff;
- Computer literacy and excellent interpersonal skills are essential in this role;
- Certification as a Building Official Level 2 or 3 and Plumbing Official Level 1 is considered an asset.
Application and Selection Process
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must have the following valid and current certifications/licenses (must be valid at the time the posting closes) and these must be attached with your application. Applications without the attached required documents below will be deemed incomplete and may not be considered. Please attach the following documents:
- BC Class 5 (full-privilege) Driver’s License. You must include with your application a current Personal Driving Record (select the 5-year option if obtaining online) that has been obtained within 6 months of the closing date. To obtain a copy of your Personal Driving Record, please contact ICBC directly or the driving authority where you reside. Please note that a copy of your Driver’s License and the Driver Factor Report will not be accepted;
- BOABC Level 1, 2 and/or 3 certification;
- Registration as a Building Official.
Remuneration is outlined in the current CUPE 389 Collective Agreement, plus benefits. The hours of work are as required and will fluctuate according to needs. Successful candidate will be expected to provide their own vehicle; only direct work-related expenses are reimbursable. Travelling to and from Lions Bay is the responsibility of the employee.
To apply please send your statement of interest, CV, and required documents to:
Acting CAO, Ron Miller: email@example.com
This position is open until filled:
The Municipality of the Village of Lions Bay, is an equal opportunity employer located in Howe Sound along the Sea to Sky Highway, 9 kilometers north of Horseshoe Bay, and 30 Kilometers south of Squamish.
We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.